Friday, March 14, 2014

A Silver Statement Necklace DIY

Hey guys, so for the past few months I've acquired quite an obsession for DYLANLEX jewellery but I can't afford it soo it's mostly been a stalk-on-Instagram kind of obsession. I pretty much check her account everyday... Is that really as creepy as it sounded or can we just say that I'm a devoted fan?
Nonetheless I needed to do something about my obsession so I decided to try and create my own DYLANLEX inspired necklace. And hence begins the obsessive online shopping exploration for supplies. I scoured all over the internet. Literally. I scoured over hundreds of pages, and thousands of necklaces (maybe a slight exaggeration) but It was bad. And amazingly enough, I only bought 3 necklaces.
I ended up spending about $50 for all my supplies (much less than $1000) but it was mostly due to the fact that I bought everything online and had to get it shipped. And why did I buy everything online? Well, I wanted to provide you guys with links to where everything was purchased so you could recreate the DIY with exactly the same supplies. I thought it would be more helpful than using a one-of-a-kind vintage necklace that belonged to some lady from the thrift store. But of course if you decide to take that route or use the necklaces you have lying around your home you can save way more money than I did. I'll provide the links for all my supplies down below.
Ah, now leading into the tutorial... Well it's really not that hard, just very time consuming. It took me about a week and a half to work on it because I would work on it in short intervals here and there. It especially takes longer when you need to film it and set up and rearrange your filming equipment, but I'd say it can easily take a day to complete.
Supplies
Old necklaces and chains
Two pairs of pliers (A flat nose plier and a 3-in-1 plier)
Jump rings
And charms (optional) 
Step 1
After you collect your necklaces, take them apart with the pliers you have. Disassembling them will help you lay out your vision and play around with placement. I played around with my placement so many times. Once you find your desired placement take a picture for reference and then carefully move your layers aside leaving your first and second layer of necklaces/chains behind.
TIP: Your first layer should be somewhat stiff and sturdy, this will help keep the rest of the necklace in place without slouching. I thought mine would be stiff enough but it began to slouch with the added weight. Basically, just don't use a normal chain for your first layer
Step 2
Try on your first necklace and hang the second necklace in place to see where it should be attached. Now this part gets a little confusing and somewhat frustrating. The reason we're trying it on to plan where it will be attached is because chains move. And what seems like a good placement when you have it laying down might not look good when it hangs on the curve of your neck. So plan where you will attach it as it hangs on your neck. Once you figure this out attach the ends to your first necklace and continue attaching jump rings evenly in between, I would usually do every two chain loops.
Step 3 
Attaching jump rings: So this takes some practice and I tried to show you guys how to attach them in a close up but I'll explain it further. The two types of jewellery pliers you need are: Flat nose pliers and 3 in 1 pliers with a round tip. With the flat nose pliers you will hold your open jump ring. With the 3 in 1 pliers you will curve the opposite open end in with that rounded tip. And that's it, it took me some getting used to (because I have bad hand eye coordination) but you do eventually get the hang of it.
Step 4
Repeat step 2 with every layer. Now would also be a good time to add charms! I bought my silver teeth charms from etsy thinking I would add them in, but they ended up making the necklace too busy so I preferred to exclude them. I'll link them below nonetheless.
And you're done!
Links to products:
I hope you all enjoy this tutorial, let me know what you think and send me your creations! I would love to see what you come up with.
Till Next time! xx
Find me here:

1 comment:

  1. Really love the necklaces. The prices are scary, but I'm totally up for the DYI that you've shown!
    -Alexandria Kingly

    ReplyDelete